Sunday, May 04, 2014

Dig on tree stump number 2

Last week I decided to dig another tree stump for a later bonfire.  I picked a stump I thought would be smaller and quicker to dig.  It was smaller and quicker than tree stump number one, but still more than I expected.

I dug a few hours one evening then went back the next day to finish the dig.

Tammy wasn't home yet from her Cancun vacation so Daisy wanted to be with me.  She even followed me out to the pasture for the dig.  This is the furthest she has been away from the house.  Initially I tried to discourage her but when she insisted I then encouraged her to keep going once we crossed into the middle pasture as I didn't want to leave her stranded as she was getting nervous and kept stopping to look around.

Once we got to the tree stump Daisy was on high alert.  There were lots of birds in the trees and they were noisy.  The noise and unfamiliar area had her nervous.  We had to take a break and sit under a large pine tree two times: once for a brief rain shower, another time for a brief graupel shower.

At times Daisy would climb down in the hole with me and I would have to stop digging.  A few times she tried digging in a small pocket hole off to the side of the hole.  One time she got a face full of dirt from her digging.


Daisy checking out my work from the previous day.




The tree stump is dug.  As you can see I took an ax to some of the side roots so I could more easily reach under the main trunk and remove the dirt.


Stump and some side roots I removed.

In the background are the box elder branches I had earlier cut from the tree that split.  http://tallpinesranch.blogspot.com/2014/03/cleaning-up-tree.html


Daisy and I took shelter under a large pine tree from a brief graupel event.



Here is a 2 minute video of Daisy during the dig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTvXWsh-kUQ&feature=youtu.be

No comments: