Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Temporary corral 1

Monday afternoon I let the cattle have a treat: green grass.  I used six corral panels and 1 unused gate to make a temporary corral off the north side of the corral.  The grass north of the loafing shed is taller and I find the horses use this area as one of their bathrooms and tend not to eat much of the grass, "wasting" it.

I reinforced the temporary panels by driving a metal T post along each panel and I wired the panel to the post.  It was worth doing.





Several of the cattle - heifers - will go under the panels to get more grass.  They are too smart for their own good.




The problem with them going under the panel is that sometimes they put their head through the loop the panels sit on.   That is part of why I sat and watched as they ate and watched for trouble.  The first heifer put her head through the red loop then had trouble getting it back out.

Years ago when I was hosting some of Dan's cattle in my corral he put up a few temporary panels to block part of my corral off.  One of his cattle got its head stuck in a panel's loop.  I wasn't there to see it and discovered it many hours later after it had pulled the line of panels loose until it couldn't move the panels anymore.  Dan helped the animal get its head free.

When cattle get stuck sometimes they find it easier to move forward than back, even if it is the wrong move.  That is what my heifer started doing.  I had the panels wired to secure them but...    So I jumped on the panel above the heifer's head to weigh the panel down.  This also had the effect of discouraging the heifer from moving forward for the most part.  In the photo below you can see the line of panels are no longer straight as the heifer did try to move forward a couple of times to get out.

With my foot I tried to guide the heifer to turn her head slightly to get it back out and after a little while she did.



The loops on the red panel are a little larger than the green panel's loop.   Still, Dan's cattle got stuck in a green panel loop so it can happen.  Sure enough a little later another heifer got her head through a green panel loop before I could move to discourage her.

Again I jumped on the panel to weigh it down.  It was a challenge to get her loose and took quite some time.  Other cattle stood behind her watching which also encouraged her to try to move forward and she make several strong efforts to move forward.  I had to shoo the other cattle away.  I found that when the heifer tried to run forward, that if I put my foot on her head that would get her to stop.

Part of what stopped the heifer from getting her head back out is that her ears popped out once she got her head through the loop.  She had to have her head straight and ears back to get out of the loop.  Hanging onto the panels I reached down and slipped one ear back.  I had trouble with the other ear.  I didn't dare kneel down and use both hands in case she made a run forward.  So I pushed with my foot when she had head head straight and not turned to the side.  I pushed her when she pulled back and both of our efforts got her head out.  I expect she will have a sore head, neck and ears for a little while.

After a couple hours the grass was all eaten and I closed the corral gates and dismantled the temporary corral.

 

Momma got to eat some grass but she spent only half the time in the temporary corral.  I don't know if it was because she was full or the other cattle made her feel unwelcome.  Probably a little of both.

The bull calf's balls haven't fallen off yet.  They do look dried and leathery.


No comments: