Sunday, May 18, 2014

Two calves in loading corral

For their first couple of days I placed the first two calves and their mothers in the loading corral so the calves wouldn't get accidentally stepped on by the other cattle.

Momma and Rose the first night before moving to the corral.












The cattle learn real young that getting the chain loose is a key to a jailbreak.



After a couple days I let the black mother and calf back into the corral to be with the rest of the cattle.  The calf ran here and there checking stuff out with her mother trailing behind.  They settled down quick.  In the evening I let Momma and Rose out into the corral.  Rose ran around here and there with Momma trailing behind mooing her concern.

The next morning I had to enter the corral to go the the barn to get my hay fork.  Rose was laying by the wood feeder and Momma was by the water trough next to the corral fence and gate.  I got halfway to the barn when Momma charged me and chased me out of the corral.  She then went over to stand by Rose.

Later in the morning Momma was fighting with other cows.  Mean fights.  I could hear when their heads knocked together.  Then they fought pushing again their sides.  The other cow then started to suck on Momma's udder.  After kicking a few times Momma calm down while the other cow drank and drank.

I went into the corral with a stick and tapped the other cow on her behind to get her to stop.  She did.  Then Momma ran towards me and pushed into me before I could get out of the corral and she lifted me off the ground.  I got out of the corral without falling down.  Momma then went back to fighting other cattle.

From the fence I was able to wave a long stick when they got nearby and got them to stop fighting.

An hour later Momma was fighting with another cow.  Same thing: knocking heads together, then pushing on their sides until the other cow got ahold of Momma's udder and began to drink.

It took a while but I finally enticed Momma back into the loading corral.  Daisy and Tammy helped.  Then I carried Rose into the loading corral.  For a few days Momma would charge me whenever I approached the fence.  Tammy had better luck as Momma only occasionally charged her when she stood near the fence.

Momma and Rose are still in the loading corral.  I think Momma has calmed down some, but I am waiting a little longer before releasing her into the overall corral.


Here is a video of the calves.   The last few seconds shows Momma fighting another cow.  My camera's batteries quit so I only captured a few seconds of a long fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz-npJlTNzY&feature=youtu.be

No comments: