Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Baby calf 2

Back on May 5 two calves were born.  The first calf (which I mentioned in an earlier post) was born around noon.  Momma's calf was born just after 6 pm.  I just missed seeing the birth.  The calf was still "gooey" when I saw her.

Momma was protective of her calf.  She shook her head at me and snorted when I tried to approach the calf.  So I was unable to spray some gentle iodine on her navel.  Yes, the calf is a girl.  And while my Aunt Diane wanted to name Momma's calf, we'll let her name another calf as Tammy and I have named this calf: "Rose".

First attempt at getting up.

A very brief rain shower


Licking the goo off Rose.

Trying to stand for the first time.



Daisy was fascinated with the new calf.  But she decided not to go into the corral to get a closer look.  Instead she laid by a little tree just outside the corral and watched Momma and the new calf.


And did a little grooming.


And a little scratching.


Later in the evening as I worked on a corral gate Daisy checked out Momma and Rose.



Later when Tammy came back outside to see Rose, Daisy posed for Tammy.


No comments: