Friday, April 25, 2014

Harrow hayfield and cattle mischief

Now that the cattle are back into the corral I drug the harrow around the hayfield to break up the manure.  I finished Friday evening.  It rained after I started so I had to use the pickup's four wheel drive as the two wheels started to slip and spin on the wet grass and mud.  By the end I was pulling around a wet and muddy mess.  But I am now done dragging the harrow around the pastures and hayfield.



I didn't find any dirt mounds in the hayfield from pocket gophers.  I finished trapping the pocket gophers from the south pasture.  I got five total.


Friday evening I had to separate Beulah's young calf from Beulah.   The calf may be in heat again.  Beulah was hanging around the calf and trying to mount her.   The calf would collapse under Beulah's weight.  The calf is around 400 lbs and Beulah is around 1600 lbs.  I was afraid the calf would get hurt so I put her in another part of the corral for a number of hours.  Today Beulah is leaving the calf alone.

Beulah and her calf

I also saw the cattle broke part of the loading corral.  The panels were nailed on the inside of the loading corral as that is where the pressure would be located by cattle trying to get out.  I didn't plan on the cattle pushing the panels from the outside to get at the grass on the inside.  They popped off one panel.  I had to put it back on.  I added more and longer nails this time.



No comments: