Friday, April 04, 2014

Broken, broken, broken

First:  this afternoon I discovered a vehicle had gone into my ditch and torn up a small approach to the hayfield.  From the looks of the damage it was a truck.  Dirt from the ditch was on half of the right lane of the road.  Another pile of dirt (two wheelbarrow loads) were on the side of the road at my neighbor's driveway.  While I was clearing the dirt near the approach the neighbor drove by and told me it was from a potato semi-truck and trailer.  He saw the truck stop at his driveway and the driver clean the dirt out of the wheel wells.

From the direction the truck must have been loaded with potatoes.  That would explain the amount of dirt torn up in the ground and tossed on the road.  It took almost two hours to clean up.  I called the county road department to come look at the scene as the pavement was broken where the tires when into the ditch.  The truck didn't tip over onto my fence, though a few strands of barb wire were broken and a post is leaning.  I'll fix it tomorrow.

After I cleaned the dirt up:



Second: Jan's dad is back from Arizona.  He will be 100 years old in a few weeks.  Not bad for 100 years old though I notice he isn't as sharp as a few years back.  Several times he would ask a question to which I answered earlier.  And he had a habit of constantly looking stuff which made helping him slower.

They needed my help in towing his trailer to a local campground and parking it.  Once we were ready to start I discovered his pickup battery was dead.  Jan had a battery charger with a boost assist.  That only got enough power to get the dashboard lights on when I turned the key.  Initially the pickup's lights and horn sounded when we hooked up the charger and I wondered if the security system was somehow preventing the pickup from starting.  The pickup's manual was a mess and once I straightened it out I found it didn't answer much.  I tried the pickup again and this time it started.

The rest of the move went well.  No problem towing the 21 foot trailer or parking it.  I have experience towing a stock trailer and parking it.


Third: in the evening when re-filling the water trough I discovered the cattle broke a gate post in the corral fence. I shouldn't be surprised as earlier in the day I saw a cow scratching her head on the post and gate.  Another fix-it project for tomorrow.  Momma is still the same: no calf.


So I got nothing done today that I had planned to do.

No comments: