Friday, April 18, 2014

Harrow and bull calf

Today I finally finished dragging the harrow around the pastures.  I only have the hayfield left to harrow and I won't do that until I re-lock the cattle in the corral.  Yesterday I spent six hours dragging the harrow over an uneven pasture and around and around many trees.  This morning I woke up a little sore from all the bouncing around I did in the pickup cab as I drove.


I don't think I mentioned it but a few weeks ago I discovered one of my little steer calves (Grandpa Whiskers) was not a steer but a little bull calf. He has a big pair of balls hanging down.  He usually has his tail down and being so short I never noticed his balls before. The guy I bought the calf from thinks he may have missed banding this calf.

So on the to-do list is banding Grandpa Whiskers and turning him into a steer.  Easier said than done.

Yesterday morning I noticed Grandpa Whiskers was keeping company with a little heifer.

Uh-oh!  

Both are way too young to be having sex.

I separated Grandpa Whiskers from the herd.  It went easier than expected to get him alone into part of the corral.  He has hay, water and salt and is set until I can get him banded.  He is an independent little guy but he does get a little lonely when the herd spends time at the far end of the hayfield.


m



A few weeks ago the biggest heifer went into heat for the first time.  She called for a boy for a few hours.  Thankfully only a couple hours - not ten hours like Baby called last year.  When the heifer first started calling she was near Momma and I initially thought Momma gave birth and it was a new calf calling.

Here is a 57 second video of the heifer calling once she laid down.  Her mother Beulah is in front of her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WSF7tqz4ws&feature=youtu.be

No comments: