Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Annual ditch burning

Today I finished my annual ditching burning.  On Sunday I burnt the ditch along the NE pasture .


The smoke in the background is my neighbor burning the hay their cattle did not eat over Winter.
 

As for the ditch along my hayfield, the wind was from the east / southeast and I was afraid the fire would get away and into the hayfield.  Earlier I had drug the harrow along the fence line a number of times but I saw that there was more dead grass than dirt or green grass.

The wind was like this for several days.   Then a few nights ago I was able to burn some of the ditch as the wind died.  But the wind died too fast.  With green grass growing among the dead grass, and a little higher humidity, I needed a small breeze to move the fire along.  I was able to burn a thin strip along the fence line.  Now if the wind would be from the east / southeast I could still burn.

Yesterday the wind was from the right direction: south / southwest.  But then it rained.

Today the wind was from the south / southwest and no rain.  So I was able to finish my ditch burning.  Even with the wind the cool temperature and higher humidity meant I had to nurse the fire along.

The cattle came to the fence as I was burning.  Several calves were curious and tried to either sniff or lick the flames.  They quickly learned that this was a bad idea.


The unburned section of the ditch is where the truck went off the road a few weeks ago spreading dirt and gravel.  


No comments: