Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Corral gate fix

I finished fixing the corral gate that the cattle broke.


Instead of just fixing the broken post, I used this opportunity to change gates.  The chain link gate was too flimsy for the corral.  I usually had to reinforce the gate when the livestock were in the corral to be on the safe side.  And I wanted a wider gate opening.


I have plans to rebuild the rest of the corral fence and replace the chain link gate.   I used this opportunity to add the gate I plan to use: a very heavy duty livestock gate.

This may not be where I will have the gate once the corral fence rebuild is done but it is was easier for now to place the gate here.  Since this is temporary I also used a temporary railroad tie because this tie already had the "hooks" the gate sits and swings on.  The downside of using this tie and "hooks" is that unlike the "hooks" that came with the gate, these "hooks" do not go above the gate hinge and I cannot put a pin in the "hook" to hold the gate on. So another temporary fix is the wire wrapped around the ""hook" and gate hinge to hold the gate on and prevent the livestock from lifting the gate off the "hooks".  It works.


I had ensured the railroad tie was straight up and down when I put it in the ground.  However I had stretched the chain link fence really tight and that may have pulled the tie off of level.  No biggie, the gate is temporary (which knowing all I have to do may mean it will be like this for two or three years).



No comments: