Friday, December 28, 2012

Babv, an independent girl

Baby is an independent girl.  I think it may be because for a while it was only her and Momma against the world.  With no one to play with she had find stuff on her own to occupy her time.  I never noticed it until I got the four new cattle.  The new cattle tend to stick together, though one heifer is a little braver and independent and sometimes I see her by herself or with Momma.

Late this afternoon when I fed the cattle Baby ate a bit, then while the rest of the cattle continued to eat hay Baby came over to watch me clean up the manure from the loafing shed.  Later when I was blowing the water out of the garden hoses (good lung exercise!) Baby took it upon herself to check out my shovel.  Well.. at least until she knocked it over briefly scaring her when it fell.

She went back to eat but one of the four maybe pushed her away from the feeder.   I'm not sure.  Baby stood there a bit then wandered over to check out a pallet by the head gate and then a railroad tie.

Later I put out some apple cores just inside the corral gate but Baby was eating hay and the others elsewhere chewing their cuds.  After a bicycle ride I checked and the apple cores were still there.  Baby was getting a drink of water and I went to the apple cores to point them out to her.  Momma was across the corral.  Often the cattle act like cats - they pretend they are not interested, then when you leave they come over.  I guess I play favorites as I wanted Baby and not Momma to get the apple cores so I picked up most of them and brought them over to where Baby stood by the water trough.

I walked away and Baby began to eat them.  Immediately Momma, who had been watching me, came running over to Baby from way across the corral.  One of the new cattle who had been standing with Momma came running too trailing Momma.  I think Baby ate most of the apple cores before Momma pushed her aside.

The photo shows what I am talking about.  Baby is on the right.  Yup, she is an independent girl.



We saw a little sun late this morning and early afternoon for a few hours.  Nice.  Temp still stayed below freezing though.


No comments: