Saturday, April 09, 2011

Willow tree, done

I've been busy the past few days but I thought I'd mention that I am done cutting on my willow tree.  I finished the same day I cut the section of the trunk with my pole saw.   Once I cut that section I fired up my chain saw to cut the final two sections.  To warm up the chain saw I cut up an old branch out back.  When I walked back to the tree a man drove up in his pickup.  He came to offer me the use of his chainsaw as he had seen me cutting on the tree with my pole saw the past few days when he drove by on the road.  He thought I didn't have a chain saw.  I explained why I couldn't use my chainsaw until now.

What took me three days to saw through with my pole saw took me five to ten minutes using my chainsaw.  As with others sections of this tree, the cut trunk balanced on a very small section that was uncut.  With a push from the handle of my pole saw the cut trunk fell right where I wanted it to as it missed everything.




The final section to cut I reached without a ladder.  First I had to reposition the truck as it didn't quite reach the tree.  Again I had to drive back and forth and back and forth and so on in order to not hit the power lines.

Then about another five to ten minutes with the chainsaw and the final section was cut.  This section also missed everything but the ground.  But it came close to hitting my concrete pit as the trunk fell inches away from it.


I had to cut the trunk sections up into smaller pieces where they fell as they were too large and heavy to lift and move.



No comments: