Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Chasing after a dog

This evening when I was walking Bob and Jan's dog, Chloe, for her evening bathroom break, she spotted two birds in the evergreen trees.  She stopped short at the end of her leash when chasing the first bird. I was an immovable object.  The second bird... well... the leash came off.  That's what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object.

I had clipped the leash to a large ring attached to her collar and not the main ring.  The ring I attached the leash to broke.  Chloe took off.  The bird flew off and then Chloe realized she was no longer attached to the leash and she took off.

She was in a thick grove of evergreen trees. On the other side of the evergreen trees is a chain link fence. I saw which direction Chloe ran but little else until she changed direction and ran the other way towards the road.

I went to the road and looked on the other side of the fence.  Past the neighbor's driveway on the other side of the chain link fence is his fenced pasture with 13 Corriente cattle.  No sign of Chloe.

I went around Bob and Jan's yard.  No sign of Chloe.

I went back to the other side of the chain link fence and found Chloe running fast in the ditch along the fence on the west side of the pasture.  The cattle were running in the pasture along the fence and were running towards Chloe.

Chloe wouldn't let me get near her and tried to ignore me.   She ran full out and like a bullet.  Back and forth.  The cattle ran back and forth.

Chloe then reached the north side of the fence and ran along it.  I went down there but she ran to the NE corner of the fence.

All this time she stayed on the outside of the pasture.   But at the NE corner she slipped through the fence and went into the pasture, then ran over to the corridor that goes down to the creek.  Back through the fence, she then ran along the creek.  I was afraid she would reach the culvert and cross the creek but she turned around and came back to the pasture.

Then she decided to run to the cattle.  The herd ran after her while she ran circles around some of the cattle. The cattle were fast but Chloe was faster. I couldn't cross into the pasture and go after Chloe as some of the cattle ran over to me along the fence.  These cattle had long horns and a look in their eye of "Just try coming into this pasture buddy!"  I checked the biggest one that ran towards me and it was a steer - even though it was acting like a bull.

Chloe then ran all around the pasture checking out the salt feeders and extra hay bales.

She ignored me when I called to her.

She ended up on the south side of the pasture and I walked around the outside of the pasture to the SW corner.

Finally she came to me when I called her and I was able to reach through the fence and grab her collar.  The cattle were still towards the north side.  I maneuvered Chloe to a spot in the fence where she could crawl under the fence when I lifted the lower barb wire strand.

I finally got her home.

Chloe is like a sports car.  Here finally she could go all out with no restrictions.  It was magnificent to see, even though it was an annoyance to me.

I'll tell you one thing... in the future I will make sure I clip her leash into the main heavy ring.

No comments: