Monday, April 18, 2011

Hayshed organizing

Last week I had to organize the north side of the hay shed.  I had over thirty cement blocks I wanted to move and store in the hay shed.  No room left.

Over the years as I gathered metal and wood fence posts, wire, metal sheets, cement blocks, and other stuff I would quickly place it in the shed with plans to use the stuff soon.  It all caught up to me as I had no room left.

While the outside ground was relatively dry, and certainly not muddy, it was odd to have the ground under the stuff be wet and muddy.  Which was a little strange as I had sealed most of the opening beneath the north wall last Fall.  The east side is always open so snow must have blown in from there.

Odder still, I found ice between the sheets of metal.  In addition, the ground beneath the sheets was frozen.  I was unable to pound any boards or posts in the ground until it thawed. I had to wait a few days. It took much of the week to complete the reorganization, and that was with three long days of work.

Yes, that is ice you see.



I decided to put some of my extra cement blocks to work and I put everything up on blocks so nothing lays on the ground any more.  No sense letting stuff rot or rust.


Here is a view when I was part way through organizing.  The metal and wooden posts have been organized but this photo gives you an idea of the area between the stuff and the RV in which I had to walk.



Here is how I supported the stack of fence posts.  The first time I stacked the posts in the foreground, the supporting posts bent way outwards and I had to take the stack apart and re-stack the pile with more support posts pounded into the ground.  Stacking and re-stacking posts made me sleep hard at night.


Here is the stuff when I finished.  Look at all that room!

No comments: