Thursday, April 14, 2011

Niarada auction

Last Saturday I attended a large auction at the former Montana Large Animal Sanctuary.    Over the winter around 800 of animals were removed from this place and now the rest of the ranch was up on the auction block.

Defunct Niarada animal sanctuary put up for sale


This was one of the few nice days we had this year and there were a lot of people at the auction, all with the same thought as me: there would be lots of ranching material for sale. A number of vehicles were pulling flatbed trailers in hopes of getting stuff.  Vehicles were parked along the county road on each side of the ranch's driveway.  The road was narrow so there was only room for a parked vehicle and barely room to drive by them.  At the driveway entrance a middle aged woman flagged me down and asked if I could take her and her aged mother up the driveway hill to the auction.

Sure.

The woman put her mother's walker in my pickup bed and climbed in.  Her mother climbed in my pickup which is no mean feat as it is a four wheel drive and high off the ground.  Add in that the step on the passenger's side is missing after I knocked it off when driving in my pasture and the climb into the pickup is more suited for tall people.

After I dropped the woman off by the house where one auctioneerer was holding forth I found parking out back.


As I mentioned there were a lot of people there. Here ATVs are being auctioned off.




Here the auctioneers are selling cars and trucks.  That is what they are standing on.



I recognized some people from the Flathead Valley.  I spoke with people from Missoula and and I overheard others say they were from Troy and all over western Montana.  With so many people they got crazy and bid high on lots of stuff, especially stuff I was interested in.  Gates, panels and fencing material were popular items. I wasn't about to pay almost new prices for used stuff.  I overheard one person wondering if people were paying almost new prices just so they wouldn't have to drive the long distance into town to buy the stuff new.    For example, 25 eight ft steel posts sold for $95.  Usually at auction I find they sell for closer to $2 each.  About 30 to 35 eight ft treated unused wooden posts sold for between $300 and $400.   A 16 ft heavy duty gate sold for $140.

Also to keep things moving the auction would bundle stuff.  Instead of one gate, you bought 3, or else 10 panels at a time.  I came home empty handed.

They had three lots of 10 unblemished corral panels.  The first 10 sold for $775.  The second for $825. The third lot sold for $875.  Usually the price drops with each lot sold.

While the Sanctuary had lots and lots of llamas, I learned they also had some camels.  About 20 panels were majorly damaged and bent when the camels leaned over to get to the hay on the other side.  These were 6 rung panels and the top rungs were bent and useless.  I think they sold for about $45 to $50 each.


For a few items, if people weren't interested, the stuff sold cheap.  For example, a large pile of various chain link fencing sold for $25.  I wasn't too interested in the chain link fencing as I still have a few sections I am not currently using.

A small caterpillar with a blade sold for $2750.  It looked to be in good shape and was kind of cute. It reminded me of a small caterpillar my dad owned when I was a kid.  It was fun to drive. I briefly entertained the thought of buying this caterpillar to use it too smooth out my rough and bumpy middle pasture.  But I thought better of it and didn't bid.  Still, I might of gotten it for $3000.  A bargain I think.


The scenery was nice though as the property up in a high valley with few neighbors and views of snow covered mountains in many directions.


The area is rocky...



The Sanctuary is on Far West Road, which is off West Road.  I didn't see a "Further West Road".



The ranch is 400 acres and apparently is for sale at $889,000 in case you're interested.

No comments: