Monday, April 25, 2011

Gates and feeder

Since my track record for buying gates at auctions is so poor I thought of placing an ad in the Mountain Trader paper to buy gates.   I didn't get around in doing so last week - but no matter as someone had an ad in Thursday's paper to sell gates.

As I am still helping my neighbor Bob I never got to calling about the gates until Friday afternoon - a time that is usually too late.  I reached the seller, who is also named Bob.  He had a variety of extra gates he no longer needed in sizes of 10', 12', 14' and 16'.   Just what I was looking for.

And he was relatively close, though on the west side of the Valley.  He said we could discuss prices when I came over.  Alright, I'll take a chance the gates will be what I want at an acceptable price.

I ended up buying five gates: two 16', two 14' and one 12' gate.  The 16' gates looked like brand new, the 12' gate had good paint, and the two 14' gates are in need of paint and a little work.  Since I bought five gates I negotiated a further discount and got all the gates for $250.  

The one 16' gate is a HiQual gate.    Last week I had priced HiQual gates at the CHS location that was selling them as closeout items and priced at $128.

The other gates I bought were two HW gates and two Pacific Steel gates - both good brands.  The 16' HW gate is a grey gate, their lighter utility model.  The 12' HW gate is green, their Corral/Horse model.

Still, I think I got a good deal.  And now I may have all the gates I need.

I also noticed Bob had a number of heavy duty (HiQual and Pacific Steel) round bale feeders that were used.  He had sold one the previous day for $200 and offered to sell me one for that price. I said I'd think about it.  As Bob would only take cash and not a check I had to go to my bank to get more money.  During the drive I decided to buy one of the feeders.

When I got back Bob said he had called the Pacific Steel company in Great Falls, Mt and got prices on new feeders.  Since he had told me $200 for a feeder he honored that price, though he told me that if he sold any more feeders he would charge more for them.

I loaded the gates into my pickup.  Now for the feeder.  The pickup is around 5' across and the feeder is over 8'.  Hmmm....    I had carried a HW feeder once and had one side in the pickup bed and the other feeder side on one side rail of the pickup bed.   I planned to carry the Pacifc Steel feeder the same way but Bob wasn't sure about that idea and kept asking if this is what I really wanted to do.  I had him bring the feeder over to my pickup using his Bobcat loader.  Next to the pickup the feeder looked big.  And the feeder is a heavy duty crown feeder.

I relented and unbolted the feeder into its three parts and Bob helped me lift the parts into the pickup bed.  In hindsight - though extra work - it was the right decision.

The feeder is heavy.  I have gotten entire HW feeders loaded into my pickup by myself but I have doubts about doing so with this feeder.  On the ground it is an effort to move it around.

The 12' and two 14' gates and the feeder.

Leaning together, the five gates I bought.

My Pacific Steel crown feeder

Gates and feeder are now checked off my list of stuff to get.  ...Now I need to buy another used harrow.  There was a harrow listed for sale in Thursday's Mountain Trader paper but by the time I called it had been sold.

No comments: