Thursday, March 05, 2009

Sawing in the snow

Today I decided to prune the apple tree down by the river. I didn't get to this task until the afternoon as I spent the morning running errands uptown and visiting Bill.

Or I tried to visit Bill. First I had to find out where he was. Brendan House moved him to another room. Every time I go see Bill he has been moved. Once I found his new room I found him to be sound asleep. I stopped by at 12:45 pm as I thought he would be done with lunch but not yet started with therapy. Instead he was asleep and Marilyn was not around.

From reports by friends Bill continues to improve. He did suffer one mishap when a Brendan House worker apparently neglected to strap Bill in his wheelchair and he fell out of it and landed on his head. Apparently Brendan House has not changed since the time my father was there.

Back home I decided to prune the apple tree in the pasture. With the recent warmer weather the snow has crusted over and for the most part I was able to walk on top of the snow. Every so often my foot would sink through the snow.

I have only trimmed the pasture apple tree once and that was a few years ago. So this tree is very tall and unruly. I can't reach the apples at the top and each season I have to rely on gravity to get those apples.

After working on the lower branches I was in the middle of using my long pole saw to cut a large branch at the top when the latest weather front arrived. An arctic front from Canada came into the Valley with strong winds and snow.

I finished cutting the branch and ran away when it fell. Then that was it for apple tree trimming. It was too cold and windy. Besides I need a ladder to reach another large branch on top.

On the way home I passed a large tree that had blown over a few years ago and which I have partially cut. The snow had let up and the wind seemed to be a bit less. I decided to trim a few of the tree's extra supporting branches.

I then decided to cut a little to mark where to use the chain saw to cut the tree later. Then I cut a little more. Then a little more. Then more. I decided this made a good workout and kept cutting even though the saw I was using was not ideal.

The snow and wind returned but I was too invested in cutting this tree and I mainly cut with my back to the wind. I was determined to saw through this tree.

By the time I cut through the tree the wind was howling and at times the snow was heavy.

But I did it.


Then through the storm I headed quickly back home. I lit a fire in my wood stove to warm my bones.

The wind is still howling tonight. The snow seems to have let up. Mainly the snow now is what had fallen earlier and is now being blown around. These cold temperatures are predicted to last into next week. This global warming is a myth. We've been nothing but cold this winter and usually below our average temperatures.


No comments: