Thursday, March 19, 2009

More pruning and Bill

Wednesday I finished pruning the apple tree out in the pasture. I really only had to cut one large branch and then cut several other smaller branches with bad bark that looked dead. That will be it for this year on this tree. I don't want to overdo it and cut too much at one time. It will take a few years to lower the tree's height. I also had read that cutting too many of the upper branches is not good as the lower leaves, not used to the sun, get sunburned.

I had to stand on a step ladder and use an extendable pole saw to cut the large branch at the top. I did say the tree was very tall.

It was a nice day and I decided since I had the pole saw I would trim dead branches from some of the trees in the pasture. It does seem pointless. After all, these are 'wild' trees out in the pasture so what does it matter if they have dead branches? But I cut some branches anyway to 'tidy' up some of the trees' look. A number of trees grow together and since these pine trees are notorious for giving up on a branch near another branch and instead race to grow taller, getting rid of dead branches will help nearby trees to keep their live branches.

I found that a couple of pine trees have died. A couple nearby trees don't look as healthy as they should.

All told I spent hours out there cutting branches. No wonder I felt a bit tired when I got back tot he house.

With the warmer weather the animals are more active. The birds that live in the hole in the box elder tree trunk south of the house are back. Yesterday I noticed some birds under the gap where the house roof slightly overhangs the fiberglass roof over my door entry. I hope they don't get the idea that this would be a place to make a nest. The rodents also are active as a week or so ago I caught a shrew in my peanut butter laced mousetrap. This morning a mouse was caught in the trap.

Tuesday I stopped and visited with Bill and Marilyn at Brendan House. I didn't spend too much time with Bill as he got tired and fell asleep. Poor guy. His right half doesn't work, he 'eats' via a feeding tube, and he can't speak other than Martian. He was trying to do something as he couldn't talk to say what he needed. It was confusing to Marilyn and I. After a few minutes and a few tries I guessed what Bill wanted and he nodded yes. And here I don't think I am very good at charades.

I better get to bed. Thursday I am speaking about my bicycle riding and touring at a meeting.

No comments: