Monday, March 09, 2009

Going full tilt and setbacks

I'm still here. Very tired though.

Saturday I skied 6 miles with Joyce, Karin and Greg. During one of my crashes my left shoe broke off the ski and I had to ski two miles down the mountain on one ski. That was harder than skiing up the mountain on two skis!

Then Sunday Patti showed up during the storm asking if I wanted to go skiing with her. Of course I couldn't say no. We skied a total of 14 miles and didn't get back until after dark - and that is even after the later sunset due to daylight savings time.

Saturday I went and seen Bill and Marilyn. I found out Bill had fallen out of his wheelchair again. Apparently early Saturday morning he fell out before Marilyn arrived. Bill has a red mark just above his right eyebrow the size of a half dollar. Carpet burn. He also has another bruise nearby. Marilyn told me Sunday night the x-ray showed a bump.

That is twice now that Brendan House let him fall out of his wheelchair. Marilyn said within the previous 24 hours Bill's roommate fell and a man in the next room fell. It seems as if staying at Brendan House is dangerous to a person's health. Then Sunday night Marilyn told me Bill's roommate suddenly died early Sunday morning.

Bill was semi-awake when I was there. When he answered me he spoke Martian. Not baby talk. I can make out some words of baby talk. I had no clue what Bill was saying. His voice was strong so my failure to understand was not due to not hearing the words.

These falls out of his wheelchair at Brendan House are not doing Bill any good.

I also found out Marilyn has the same shoe size as me and she lent me her pair of cross country ski shoes along with Bill's snowshoes. Since our weather is typical of January and not March (our high temperatures do not even reach our normal average low temperatures on these dates), it is good to be able to go outside and do stuff. Global warming doesn't exist as we are still in the middle of winter here. Tonight's forecast has a warning about dangerous wind chills and the wind recently starting roaring. More snow is in the forecast and maybe it will get above freezing by the weekend.

But I am tired. Last night I crashed right after eating supper. My wood stove was warm and as soon as I finished supper I was out like a light. I hadn't eaten since breakfast and skiing 14 miles burnt off most of my energy. Between skiing 20 miles the past two days, then shoveling several inches of snow off my long driveway today, I am dragging. Having my well freeze didn't help either as I had no water for part of today until I was able to thaw the water out. With all this activity and the prior warmer weather I forgot to plug in the light bulb to heat my well pump house. It was 28 degrees in there this morning.

No comments: