Tuesday, September 03, 2024

Cattle across the river last week

Last week I found most of the cattle had crossed the river over to the peninsula and small island.  They had broken through a section of the fence I built this year to stop them from doing so.  Due to how the grass looked over there they apparently had been over there a number of times the previous week.  That was when I was busy cutting and baling my hay.  I saw the cattle in the pastures back then, but when I wasn't looking they snuck across the river.  What alerted me finally was one cow was doing a lot of mooing so I took time and went to look at why.  Her calf was across the river and the cow's udder was full.

Most cattle came back on their own when they saw that I saw them over there.   I had to encourage the last of them.  Then I went to look and found one calf, the smallest, on the island.  So I had to herd him back.  Since he didn't have the cows to follow over the area where the river was lower he turned right and not left.  He ended up swimming as that direction it got deeper for a bit.  But he made it on shore.   On a spot where he had to go back and forth before he found a way through the fence.

I added more wire to the fence where the cattle broke through.  So far it has held.

You can see how sleek his fur looks after swimming across the river.



Here is the cow that mooed before she was reunited with her calf.

No comments: