Thursday, September 05, 2024

Apple sauce, bicycle, air compressor

Donna dropped off 14 jars of apple sauce she made from the transparent apples.  She and her daughter got the rest of the jars.



Today I got my bicycle back.   Tuesday I had taken it into a bicycle shop to get the bottom bracket replaced.  I don't own a tool that would allow me to take the bottom bracket out of the bicycle frame.   Many decades I would have fixed the bottom bracket, but the bottom brackets these days are sealed units.  A sealed unit is good as they last a long time.  In the old days I would have to regrease, etc. the bottom bracket every few years.   The new bottom bracket cost me $20.  Add in the labor and it cost me $33 to get it fixed.  Worth it.   I got the pedals put back on this evening.  I'll put the chain back on tomorrow and go for a ride.

The old bottom bracket is on the right.  It had gotten a larger and larger wobble as I rode the past few weeks.  I think the bearings inside were disintegrating.



Jan had filled up her small utility trailer again with tree branches and I hauled them and dumped them on my tree branch pile.  Jan had an old (1977!) extra air compressor she didn't want anymore as she is cleaning her garage and getting rid of stuff.  The compressor has a seal problem.  Initially I didn't want or need the air compressor as I have a small one now, and I'm not the best at mechanical fixes.  Then Curtis stopped on his motorcycle as he was riding by and Jan and I were outside talking.  He looked at the air compressor and found a small valve I would need to replace.  I can do that.  So I took the compressor off Jan's hands.



Jan also had a few branches up high she needed to cut.  Since I have my 27 ft pole saw she asked if I could cut the branches for her.  I did.  And a number of other tall and dead branches.  Put a saw in my hand to cut branches and it is hard for me to stop.  She may end up halfway filling her utility trailer again with the branches.

No comments: