Monday, August 12, 2024

Pushed metal feeder

Here is a photo of the metal feeder Haynes the bull pushed last week when I was moving irrigation pipes.  



Yesterday I started the tractor to move the metal feeder.  This is the first time moving a metal feeder using the new tractor.  I use the tractor's bale spear to flip the feeder on its side and then carry it to a new location.  The feeder is too heavy for me to lift upright.

The new tractor's bale spear is different than the old tractor's bale spear.  The old bale spear had a long center spear and then two short spears below to keep the bale from spinning.  The new bale spears are all the same length.

To flip the feeder I used the old spear's longer middle spear to go under the metal feeder to flip it upright.  The former bale spear's lower shorter spears wouldn't go into the ground when the middle spear's tip reached the ground.  But the new bale spear's lower spears go into the ground when the middle spear's tip go under the metal feeder.  Eventually, after trying this and that, I got the feeder flipped upright without damaging it.  The soft dirt helped.  But I will have to come up with a new method in the future this Winter.

No comments: