Tuesday, August 06, 2024

Mainline pipe removed from hayfield

This morning I removed the last of the mainline pipes from the hayfield.  Monday I had unhooked the pipes in the hayfield and removed three of the valves (6 pipes).  Today I removed the last 8 valves (16 pipes).  The pipes are stacked in the south pasture.  Now all I have to do is wait for the hayfield to dry.  That may take longer than expected.  Sunday was a rainy day.  This afternoon we had a rain shower.  The weather forecast is for cooler weather (70s) and a chance of rain a number of days.  Drying is going a lot slower now.


This evening when I moved the irrigation sprinkler lines in the pasture I ended up with a broken sprinkler riser.  When the sprinklers are not throwing water the calves like to rub on the sprinkler risers and sprinklers and scratch their face and neck on them.  For the first time ever they broke a riser.  I didn't notice it until I turned the sprinkler line back on.  I then saw I had a geyser.  Initially I thought the riser had unscrewed itself from the pipe as that has happened in the past.  Not this time.  I had to go and get another pipe.  I thought I would be able to slip this pipe in the line.  But it turns out this pipe is a foot longer than the broken pipe.  So I had to unhook three-fourths of the pipes and then add this pipe and then re-hook all the pipes again.  Now that the sprinkler lines are in the pastures it has been taking me almost 2 hours each time to move the sprinkler lines.  Tonight it took me 3 hours to get the lines moved.  It was dark by the time I turned the line back on.

No comments: