Friday, December 15, 2023

Haynes pushing things

Haynes... Haynes... Haynes....  stop it!

The ladies don't need Haynes loving right now so he must be frustrated.  This morning, when I let cattle into the corral to eat a small hay bale, I found the salt feeder flipped over and moved.  Haynes is back to flipping the feeder.  I'll have to remember and make it a priority to wire the feeder to the metal posts.




Later when I went out to put a large hay bale in the middle pasture I found the metal feeder was moved quite a distance away.  After Haynes had pushed the metal feeder close to the river the last time, I put the next hay bale further away.  This time Haynes didn't push the feeder to that spot even though it was closer than where he had pushed the feeder to this time.  I guess Haynes figured out that he couldn't make the feeder go into the river at that spot, so he chose another spot.   Haynes got the feeder partially down the riverbank until a tree stopped the feeder.  *sigh*    Haynes... Haynes... Haynes!

So I put the hay bale and feeder further from the river.  But who knows.  Haynes can really push the large and heavy metal feeder a long distance.

Before Haynes had pushed the feeder the second time, a few days ago I discovered he had pushed lots of boards and logs around that I had stacked under a large evergreen tree near the river.  I have boards and logs stacked under this tree for a few years now and they were never pushed about before.  One log was pushed down the old riverbank.  The good news is that this area still has some area before one reaches the river.  So the log didn't make it to the river before Haynes quit pushing it.  I had to restack all the old boards and logs.

The second metal feeder push was over and close to this area.  I guess Haynes figured that since he was able to get the log down the old riverbank, he could get the feeder down there also.   After I pulled out the metal feeder from the one tree I then found two logs from the other tree against the one tree.  Haynes apparently pushed the logs there before he pushed the feeder.

When I let the cattle out of the corral to go to the new hay bale I walked alongside them to make sure they would go to the middle pasture and not the feeder in the north pasture. It is best when Panda leads the cows as she knows where to go as she is somewhat smart.  Panda wasn't leading this time. Haynes and a cow were in the lead.  For a moment it appeared the leaders were going to turn towards the north feeder.  As I walked closer to get the cattle to go to the middle pasture Haynes turned to me.  He then put his head down and up and began 'hopping' towards me.  I moved back and towards the other cows and yelled at Haynes to knock it off.  He did.  He stopped and turned around and rejoined the cows walking to the middle pasture.  Haynes is mostly friendly, but one should never trust a bull.  They can get into a mood.

This evening I talked with a neighbor, Mrs. Foster. Her son has a few cows and a bull.   The bull was nice and gentle over the years.  But this year, after being separated from the cows, the bull started to get annoyed and aggressive.  He sold the bull and is looking for a new bull.

No comments: