Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Haynes pushing again

Haynes... Haynes... Haynes.   

Once again Haynes tried to get a metal feeder into the river.   Even though I am placing the feeders further from the river when feeding hay, once the hay was all eaten Haynes pushed this feeder a long way.   This pasture is mostly fenced along the river.  Haynes didn't quite get the feeder over to the open area where the cattle walk down to the river.  He pushed the feeder into a fence.  He broke one wooden fence post.  That post will have to replaced next Spring after the ground thaws.  For now the barb wires are holding the post upright.

I spent some time and effort getting the feeder away from the fence as this section of the fence is partway down the bank.   I didn't have the tractor so it was muscle effort to move the feeder.  It is harder for me to move the feeder than it is for Haynes.   After some sweat on a cold day I got the feeder moved; and I moved it over to an area where the feeder had been in the past when the temperature was warmer, the ground not frozen, and the cattle's hooves impacted the ground.  The broken-up ground should make it hard for Haynes to move the feeder until the next time I put a large hay bale into it.

No comments: