Friday, November 17, 2023

Frost. Fence rebuild.

Long night of below freezing temperatures last night and into the morning.  Very frosty last night.  The frost in the shady areas lasted long.   Some frost didn't go away.  The photo of the rails was taken at 4 pm.



Over the past week I re-built two more sections of the fence.  I want the posts to be a certain height.  I had finished this section when it got dark. The next day I didn't want to re-dig this post so I used this jack to raise the post.  It worked.


The middle post of this fence section was crooked.   It took some effort to make sure the side against the rails was straight.  The part in the ground was crooked, so I had to dig the hole a certain way to make everything work.




I almost got this part of the fence done.  I made it past the yard / NE pasture fence.  This section of the fence is where the cattle had pushed off the boards to get into the yard this past Summer.



You can see the two red corral panels at the far end.  Coming from the other end is a board fence I had rebuilt back in October 2017.  At the time I didn't make it to the yard / NE pasture fence. So I had put up three corral panels to act as a temporary fence.  I haven't worked on it since as I had other more important things to do.  Six years.  Wow.


There is 18 ft 4 inches between the two sections of fence.  Rails are 16 ft long.  I haven't decided if I will make more of a board fence or a rail fence or a combination.

Time is running out before a hard freeze this year.  I have some other rail fence work left to do as you can see the rails that are left in the photo near the top of this post.



A view of the rail fence I re-built this Fall.  It looks nicer than the old board fence.

No comments: