Monday, November 06, 2023

Fence work and cattle

Yesterday I let the cattle into Ruth's field.  The hayfield is getting eaten down and it is getting closer to the time to put out a hay bale.  So I let the cattle into Ruth's field to do a little more/last cleanup.   I didn't have my camera with me, else I would have had a video of the cattle running past the gate into Ruth's field.  Haynes was in the back and once all the cattle were through the gate he began to run so he wouldn't be left behind.  Haynes is so big he reminded me of a buffalo running.  I wish I had my camera.

Lots of rain off-and-on since last week.  More like "on" than off.  I did get a little more fence work done.  I got the last section built to the corner.  I also got the gate hung.  And the rest of the poles laid out.  And the rest of the matting/tarp pulled out of the ground.

Old gate and new gate.

The rest of the way to go to the north pasture.  I got the rest of the rails figured out and laid out after I took this photo.  Since the rail lengths differ by an inch or two I had to find the ones of the same length for each section.
 


The rebuilt fence to the corner and the gate hung.  Due to the driveway, I curved the last section slightly to make it a foot or so further from the driveway.   Last year the guy who bought the steers got too close with his stock trailer and bumped and broke the end fence post that was rotting.


Rain is in the forecast for much of this week with a few breaks.  I'll try to get more fence rebuilt as time is running out before Winter really arrives.

No comments: