Tuesday, April 04, 2023

Pandas calf. Day 2

Panda's calf is doing fine.  Before going to bed last night at 2 am I went out and checked on her.  Panda and her calf were sitting/laying next to each other and were doing fine.

I checked on them at 8 am this morning.  They were laying next to each other along the north/middle pasture fence as close as they could get to the hay feeder in the middle pasture.  I noticed that while Panda had pushed around the small hay pile I had brought to her in the north pasture yesterday, she didn't eat much of the hay.  I carried the remaining hay over to her and she came to eat it.

I didn't let Panda and her calf into the middle pasture because Donna came after noon to help me ear tag the calf.  Easier to do if the calf was not among the rest of the cattle and calves.  As Donna and I came closer Panda and her calf decided to walk away.  They walked along the north/middle pasture fence, and as I got close the calf crawled through the barb wire fence.  The calf then didn't want to leave her mother and tried to crawl back through the fence to reach her mother.  I was able to grab the calf and pull her away from the fence and hold her down on the ground.  Donna reached through the fence to give me the ear tagger and I quickly ear tagged the calf.  Then Donna opened the nearby gate to let Panda come to her calf.  After posing for photos Panda and her calf walked away.

For a calf only 16 hours old, she is pretty active.  But then, she is a heifer.




No comments: