Friday, April 07, 2023

Ditch burning

This afternoon I got around to burning the grass in my ditches.   The wind was fairly light, though at times it would switch directions, or a strong gust would occur.  To be on the safe side I raked a grass-free line along the hayfield.  I also started the burn downwind and then burnt against the wind.  The wind was mainly south to southeast.  So I started on the north end and then spread the fire along the west side of the ditch to move the fire along to the south.  This made burning slower but safer. 

I got 90% of the ditch burnt.  From the driveway I got the south end burnt.  North of the driveway I got the section of the ditch along the fruit tree area burnt.  I have the section of the ditch along the NE pasture left to burn.  Next to this section are the long-needled evergreen trees.   In addition to grass there are pine cones and needles from the tree on the ground.  So the burning is more intense here.

I didn't find this last section as I went to my neighbor's Jan's surprise birthday party at a restaurant. Hopefully I can finish the burn sometime this weekend as next week has rain in the weather forecast.

South section on the left.  North section on the right.



I also burnt the grass along part of the front yard fence.  I let the fire also burn into my front lawn.



You can see the cattle manure in the corner of the hayfield.  Some burnt, some didn't, some smoldered. 

No comments: