Wednesday, April 19, 2023

2023 Calf 9 - Lightning Picasso's

Exactly at noon calf 9 for the year was born.  15-20 minutes before the birth started I saw Lightning Picasso laying in the corral and thought, oh, she may have a calf in the next day or two.   I happened to walk by the corral a short time later and saw Lightning Picasso standing up and a fluid bag hanging out her back end, and also the start of the calf's hooves coming out.

Lighting Picasso never had a calf before.  She was the only replacement heifer last year not to have an early calf.  So I waited and watched.  I was concerned since Haines is throwing large calves.  The birth was going slow.  Normal for a first-time mother usually.  Lightning wasn't in any more stress than is normal for a birth.  Still I wanted to help her.   So, when she was 'pushing' the calf I crawled on the ground up behind her so she couldn't see me approaching her.  Then when she was 'pushing' I held onto the calf's legs above its hooves and pulled. But not too hard.  I did this over and over a handful of times.  I thought I saw the calf's tongue coming out.  Then the calf's nose.  Once the head came out the rest of the calf came out quickly.

The birth was in the dirt.  I brushed some dirt off the calf and watched it as it began to breathe.  Lightning got up to check on her calf.  She spent her time sniffing the calf and not licking it clean.  And the calf began to shiver a little.  I got a towel and rubbed some of the goo and dirt off the calf.  The calf tried a few times to stand up, but it would flop back down.  Sometimes hard.  I was worried it may hurt his neck.

The calf then decided to lay.  Occasionally I saw it open its mouth and flick the tongue out. The calf knew it should drink some milk.   Where is the milk?   Once Lightning began to lick to clean the calf I gave them room.  Other cows and calves came over to check the new calf out.  Let the Momma and calf be alone for now!

I went to have breakfast.  Afterwards I checked on the calf.  It was standing and mostly clean.  I watched as it worked at figuring out how to drink.  The calf was in the right area of Lightning.  Lightning has big nipples and finally the calf figured out how to get a nipple in its mouth and that it should suck on it.

Yay.  Mission accomplished.   The calf is a male.  Lightning is a normal sized cow, and fortunately the calf is a normal sized calf and not a large calf.

Late afternoon Donna came over and helped me band and ear tag the calf.

Being a male the calf sleeps a lot and Lightning lays right next to the calf.  If the calf walks a bit to check things out, Lightning is constantly softly mooing at the calf.





Newborn calf, and some cows and calves then had to check the new calf out while Lightning was trying to lick the calf clean.







Cleaned.  Laying together.  And resting.



Newly banded and ear tagged.





While I initially watched and waited for the calf to be born, I laid on the ground in the corral.  Naturally one of the replacement heifers had to check me out.


I have five cows left to have a calf.  At least all of these have had a calf already last year.

No comments: