Monday, April 03, 2023

2023 Calf 8 - Panda's

Panda finally had her calf today between 6 pm and 7 pm.  I double checked on Panda after 6 pm and I saw the calf's hooves starting to come out.  Usually for cows who had calves before, their second and later calves come out quicker.  Often, by the time I return with a camera the calf was already born.  Not this time.  That may be because Haynes' calves are bigger than Toby's or Buster's calves, and Panda is not a large cow.

I wanted to help by pulling on the calf was Panda pushed.  But Panda didn't want me near her and would get up and walk away.   And three of the four replacement heifers were annoying as they crowded near Panda and wanted to check out Panda and the calf's hooves.  I had to chase them away - over and over.  Teenage females are a nuisance!  I tried to herd Panda into the corral to be alone, but she didn't want to walk that way.   Panda walked out into the middle pasture to be away from everyone.

She laid down to have her calf.  Then after a little bit got up to walk away more.  I tried to stay away to give her room.  Then the replacement heifers walked past me and out to Panda.  I went out to chase the heifers away.  Panda walked off and then laid down to try to have her calf.  Over and over we went.

The birthing process seemed slow.  The hooves were out.  After a while the legs were partly out.  Panda got up and turned away and laid back down.  Now she was facing me and I couldn't see the birth.  I stayed, didn't distract Panda, and let her be.  Then Little Beulah walked over to check Panda out.  Then I heard a sound like the calf had just popped out.  And it did.

The calf appears to be a heifer.  Panda was licking the calf and I didn't want to grab the calf to check it's sex. But with the calf moving around a bit I saw pink between its back legs.  I think the pink were the calf's nipples in what will become her udder when she grows up.  I'll double-check tomorrow morning.  

It wasn't long before the calf stood up.  I saw it drink.  Panda and her calf are laying next to one another when I left.  Before I left I had put out another large hay bale in the middle pasture for the other cows.  I carried over some hay for Panda to later eat.


When I first saw Panda starting to have her calf.



After Panda walked away.  And before the replacement heifers came again to check Panda out.


The replacement heifers, and Panda moving again.


A new spot to lay down.  And once again the replacement heifers got tired of looking at me and walked over to Panda.






Just born.  Panda standing up to lick the calf to get it to start beathing.  Little Beulah checking the new calf out.



Little Beulah left and let Panda lick her calf to life.


The calf starting to move.


Here is a 1:02 video right after the calf was born.  You can see the calf taking her first breaths.   https://youtu.be/oztxV3q2E8g

No comments: