Monday, June 27, 2022

Hay is cut

I finished cutting my hayfield today.  I wasn't sure I would get it all done as I got a later start than I expected.  A late start getting out of bed.  Then I had to go and fill the water trough for the cattle still in the neighbor's field.  The neighbor was outside and I talked with her.  She has two large trees and one is looking sickly.  I don't know why.  The other neighbor across the street was having her trees sprayed.  So I and the first neighbor went over and spoke with the person spraying the trees.  Once I got the ball started I turned it over to the neighbor to talk with the sprayer as what to do about her tree.

Since the fuel gauge on the tractor doesn't work, I don't trust how much diesel is in the tractor.  So I went about bought more diesel and then poured it into the tractor to fill the tank.

Since everything was dusty and dirty I got my air compressor out and blew the tractor and haybine clean.  The tractor windows were still dirty so I got water, towel and squeegee and cleaned all the tractor windows inside and out.

When I stopped hay cutting yesterday I had just reached the first power line tower.  I decided to use a hand scythe to cut the grass around the tower's legs.  It makes it easier and safer to cut around the legs.  This took time.  I only cleared the grass around one tower's legs as time had passed and I wanted to get to cutting the hay.


Then I had a full breakfast.  

After I started my tractor it stopped.  It hadn't done that in a while.   The tractor didn't want to restart.  It was like the motor wasn't getting any fuel even though the fuel tanks were full.  I had to use the tractor's fuel primer a few times in trying to start the tractor.  After 20 minutes or so the tractor finally started.

So I got a late start.  The cutting went well.  It had been 18 hours since I last cut the hay.  In the photo you can see the one cut I had done today versus the other cuts I did yesterday.  So the drying is happening.


As I hadn't got my full amount of sleep the night before, after a few hours I was starting to get tired.  So I stopped and went and refilled the cattle's water trough as it was pretty much empty.  As the tank filled I watched the cattle.   The newborn calf had woken up at the far end of the field and ran out to be with his mother.  After a bit he wandered here and there among the cattle getting closer to me.  He was jumping off-and-on and testing his ability to move around.

Once the trough was filled I got back to hay cutting.  I was awake now.  Just at dark I finished the hay cutting.  So I did get done.  Tomorrow I will use the hand scythe to cut the grass around the other power line tower's legs, and also clean and park the haybine.

Now to wait for the hay to dry.  Weather forecast is for temperature in the 80s tomorrow, then a few days of low 70s, then back to 80 degrees. We're finally warm.  It feels hot to me as I am still used to our earlier cold Spring. The slight chance of rain is now a very slight chance of rain.  Hopefully the hay dries sooner than later, though I imagine it may take a little longer than usual.

No comments: