Friday, June 17, 2022

Cattle into the middle pasture

Wednesday the cattle convinced me to let them into the middle pasture.  There is still plenty of tall grass in the northern pasture, but it is good to rotate the cattle among the pastures.

Still in the north pasture.  Also, the river is high from the Spring runoff and the recent rains.  A small low area of my pasture has some water.


Haynes the bull

Here the cattle are in the middle pasture.  I had delayed letting them into the middle pasture because I dug around three tree stumps in this pasture.  Due to the wet weather I haven't been able to burn the tree stumps.  So the dirt is piled next to the stumps.   I had hoped that the very wet dirt would discourage the cattle from rubbing in the dirt.   Nope.   Almost immediately the cattle went over to one of the dirt piles and rubbed their faces and necks in the wet dirt.   I didn't get an after picture of one cow - the red cow in the third photo - as her face was all covered in mud.  She must have closed her eyes when she rubbed in the dirt.




While all the cattle had gone into the middle pasture, Maria and her calf remained in the north pasture as Maria's calf was sleeping.  I went over and woke the calf up and then herded the two to the middle pasture.



No comments: