Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Ear tagging calf 12

It rained all day yesterday. So I didn't ear tag the calf.  This morning it had stopped raining finally and Donna came over to help me ear tag the new calf.  Fortunately the cattle were just outside the corral and not at the other end of the pasture.  Still the calf is over a day old and can now run.  And I had to run after it.  At one point I finally caught the calf and was holding it.  The calf started to bawl.   Then I looked up and Mama (not the calf's mother) was standing right there looking at me.  Uh, oh.  I tried to push Mama back and ended up letting the calf go.  Donna, who is afraid of Mama was a ways away.

So, time for something different.   I had Donna go over and handle the gate to the NE pasture and I herded the calf and her mother, Maria, into that pasture.  They then went into the corral.  The corral was muddy from our all day rain yesterday.  I was able to finally catch the calf in the loafing shed, and then standing and holding the back end of the calf against the loafing shed wall so she couldn't back up, Donna came over to help hold the calf's head and I was able to ear tag the calf.

Done.

I then herded the cow and calf back out to the north pasture to be with the other cattle.

Freshly ear tagged.


No comments: