Friday, September 18, 2020

Straw and tarp

Now that the barley field across the road was cut earlier this week by Chris, the left over stuff was baled up as straw.  I thought Chris baled the straw but he subcontracted and sold that to someone else.  I was able to convince this guy to sell me one bale.  It is good to have straw for bedding for the cattle when it gets cold outside.  It cost me $40.

Since the straw bale was across the road he brought it over in his truck and I didn't have to use my tractor to get it.  His truck has metal arms that grab the bale and lift it onto the back of his truck, and then the arms lowers the bale to the ground.  Pretty neat.

His baler makes large bales.  As you can see the straw bale is about twice the size of my bales. It makes my bales look small.  This will be enough straw for my cattle this Winter.




Rain is still in the forecast for this weekend.  So I got my large tarp out and covered the bales outside the hayshed.


When I was putting the tarp over the bales the cattle out in the pasture saw me and came to a gate and started mooing at me.  Sorry girls. You'll get a bale another day.

No comments: