Sunday, September 13, 2020

English walnut trees

Earlier this week our overnight low temperature one night was 23 degrees.  In the past my English walnut trees were very susceptible to temperatures starting at 32 degrees and lower.  They would immediately have all their leaves turn brown.  As the trees have gotten older they are more resistant to cold temperatures.   Only a few of their leaves after the 23 degree temperature have started to die.




Last year I picked the walnuts late.  I am not sure if the walnuts are ready yet.  So I picked one and removed the walnut shell from the green husk.



I let the walnut shell dry over a few days.  Tonight I cracked open the shell.  The walnut inside is still soft.  So my walnuts are not ready to harvest yet, even if the shells are of a good size now.

No comments: