Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Backyard fence rebuild done

 I finished the rebuild of the back yard fence.  This is the fence that goes from the patio to the corral.  Earlier I had posted about the first part of the rebuild.  (https://tallpinesranch.blogspot.com/2020/09/partial-backyard-fence-rebuild.html)


First I had to take down the old fence.  Here is the gate and some of the old fence boards.



It took some effort, and looking over and over through my stacks of wood, but I was able to find enough rails, and rails of the right length (about 9 ft for each section), so I only had to make three more sections from the gate to the patio.

Because time had passed since I rebuilt the first half of the fence, and the warmer temperatures dried the ground, it was harder now to dig the holes for the railroad tie posts.  It took me over three times as long to dig each hole, and a lot more effort as I had to chip and break the dirt apart before using the post hole digger to remove the dirt.



Ta da.  Because of the cattle I added some old wood fence posts in the middle of each section to strengthen each rail section.  I also added wire to each section so the cattle can't put their head through and push on the rails.  I think the rebuilt fence looks better than the old fence.



Some of my old fence posts have seen better days.  This post looked better when I started. I usually only dig the hole halfway down, then I use a sledgehammer to pound the post a little deeper.  Pounding this post flaked off some of the rotted part of the post from when that part used to be in the ground.  Well, it still works for now.  How long will it work?  I'll find out in the future.


No comments: