Thursday, September 03, 2020

Gophers and lawn

I am still waiting on my tractor and baler to be fixed.  Hopefully they will be done Friday as the weather is predicted to change on Labor Day.

I have been re-trapping pocket gophers as some are trying again to move into the hayfield and south pasture.  I think today I finally got all of them who had moved back in.  I got 13 pocket gophers this past go-around over the past few weeks.  I'm up to 59 of them trapped so far this year.

I had one of my traps damaged by the cattle.  Usually I trap in a pasture when the cattle are rotated to another pasture.  But at this time of year the cattle have access to both the south and middle pastures.  Otherwise they can walk the river as it is low to get to either of these pastures.  The calves are extremely curious as to my traps and markers.  Yesterday I found the milk jug a ways from the metal stake.  The stake was bent.  And the older round trap was stepped on and now cracked.  I think I was able to repair the trap.  We'll see once I need to use it again.  Today, since I was done trapping I placed the traps and markers on the other side of the gate while I went to do something in the pasture.  When I got back I found the cattle has reached under the gate and pulled the traps and markers back into the south pasture.  At least this time they didn't step on the traps.

I also got the yard mowed.  It took some time the past few days.  Because the yard was also watered when I irrigated the hayfield the yard grass was thick and moist, much more than usual.  Even though it has been a number of weeks since I irrigated the hayfield and yard, the yard grass was moist in the inside, not the outside.  I was having trouble mowing the grass and it was only after I felt the grass after it was cut that I realized how moist it was.



I'm trying to remember what this plant is suppose to produce.  I think, hazelnuts.   I've had this, and two other plants, for a number of years now and never got any nuts from them as the plants have struggled to grow.



The hayfield is still green and growing.



No comments: