Thursday, July 02, 2020

Calf 17 - Maria's

This afternoon I discovered that Maria finally had her baby calf.  If she was on schedule she would have had her calf back in March or April.  A few times this past week I saw Maria laying a certain way and it looked like she was getting closer and might have her calf in the next week or two.  It was faster than I expected.  I didn't notice the calf until mid-afternoon.  I think the calf was born in the morning or even a bit earlier. The grass in the pasture is still tall and sometimes it partially hides a cow, much less a small calf.

The calf is a female.  Darn.  This calf, and Diamond's upcoming calf, most likely will be held until next year as they will be a bit small to sell this October.  Having a female calf means I need to keep her separate from the bull next year in case she comes into heat earlier than expected.

Maria, the new mother.

The calf pretty much look like her mother.





No comments: