Tuesday, July 07, 2020

Rain on my hay

At 3:30 am this morning I was woken up from a deep sleep to the sound of thunder.  And some lightning was happening.  I went outside and called for Daisy to come in the house, and he did.  Around 5:30 am I was woken up again.  This time it was raining.

Other than a stop of a few hours late morning, it rained until mid-afternoon.  .30 of an inch of rain.

Not good.  Everything is wet.  I checked the underside of one windrow.  It was wet.  I didn't want to rake the windrows this year but now I have too.  I am going to try to rake the hay tomorrow afternoon.  It is suppose to be dry Wednesday and Thursday.  Then Friday has another chance of rain.  One weather forecast has it dry after that.  Another weather forecast has a slight chance of rain next Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.  I hope by raking the hay tomorrow it will be dry enough to bale some of it on Thursday.

I'm not the only one affected.  I seen that other fields cut when I did are also down and wet.

Hayfield

Here is my hand scythe.  I used it late afternoon to cut some of the grass growing in the hayfield along the yard fence.


My neck is almost back to normal.  When driving the tractor I have to mostly look back at the haybine to make sure everything is going right and I am positioning the haybine to correctly cut the row of grass in a straight line.  Hours of doing this gives my neck a pain when twisting to look backwards.

No comments: