Monday, September 09, 2019

Rain, irrigation, baby calf

Except for a three hour window from about 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm, it has rained all day.  We are over 1.5 inches since the rain started last evening and it is still raining.  The river, which had been running at a little over 60 cubic feet per second (CFS), is now just shy of 100 CFS.  Since we had so much rain I turned off the irrigation pump after I woke up this morning.  No sense moving the pipes two more times.

Diamond was with her new calf in the loafing shed in the corral this morning while Maria and her calf were out in the front yard eating grass.  So I put out some hay for Diamond to eat as she was hungry.  As I left the corral her calf followed me.  So I had to herd him back into the corral to be near his mother.

Diamond was eating grass in the front yard when I left at 3 pm for my dental appointment.  I didn't see her calf.  When I got home Diamond was still in the front yard.  No sign of her calf.  So I went looking for it.  I really has to look as I could not find it.  I finally found the calf curled up and resting back behind my piles of wood in the back yard.  Diamond had hidden her calf well while she went to eat in the front yard.

When it started to rain after 6:30 pm Diamond was still in the front yard.  I hadn't seen her go back to her calf.  I waited a little bit for her to go back to her calf.  I couldn't take it anymore and I went back.  The calf was curled up and laying in the rain.  I tried to get it to stand and walk to the corral and the loafing shed but it just wanted to lay.  Eventually I got it up enough that I could wrap my arms around his legs and I carried him to the loafing shed where it was dry. No sense him catching a cold laying in the rain.  I set him down.  He got up and walked around a bit before settling down in the corner.  I went and got Diamond and herded her into the corral.  She needed to check on her calf in case he was hungry.  Once she got to the corral Diamond then got engaged and mooed and went over to her calf.   Maria's calf followed us and then so did Maria as they thought they were missing out on something.  At least the calf is dry now.

No comments: