Sunday, August 18, 2019

Second hay cut start

It looks like we'll be having a string of warm dry days.  So I can finally get my hayfield cut.  It's past time as the alfalfa is blooming like mad.

We have been having very heavy dew in the mornings the past week and this morning was no exception.  I got started cutting around 12:45 pm and even then the alfalfa/grass at ground level was still damp.  While my alfalfa and grass is not as tall as in the Spring it is still dense.  I thought I would be able to cut my field faster this time.  Barely.  In the Spring I cut in first gear then as it warmed up and dried more in the afternoon I was able to cut in second gear.  This time I had to cut in second gear for an hour, then was able to use third gear.  Finally at 5 pm I was able to use fourth gear.  While fourth gear seems slow I am happy to use that gear after being stuck so long in the slower gears.

So... I am not done cutting the field.  Usually it takes just over a day.  But in the Spring I could start cutting around 10 am and could cut until almost 10 pm.  I still have irrigation pipes to move so I stopped cutting at 8 pm.    I think I got two-thirds of the field cut and should finish cutting tomorrow afternoon depending when the dew dries.



When I came out of the house after getting some stuff to eat I found all these turkeys.   The hens seemed to be in a bad mood as several were fighting with one another.


As I went back to cutting the turkeys went back into the uncut field.  They must have had their "area" as I later saw a big circle of matted down alfalfa and grass.  Below they are coming back out of the uncut field.  I waited for them.



The turkeys headed out of the field.  It looks like the cars slowed or stopped as the turkeys crossed the road.


Below is the fence I rebuilt this Spring.  I strung 11 strands of barb wire on the fence.  You'd think all those strands would stop the cattle from putting their head through the fence.  As you can see, no.  This is the second time I caught Mama putting her head through the fence to eat from the hayfield.  You'd think the barbs in the wire would hurt, especially as the wires are strung tight.



No comments: