Friday, August 16, 2019

Calf switch

There was mooing off and on during the night.  By the time I woke up at 6:30 am I suspected the wrong calf was in the corral with Maria as there was mooing from the corral and mooing from the middle pasture.  I got up and went outside. Red in the middle pasture was calling for her calf, who was in the corral with Maria.  I let Red's calf out of the corral.  Instead of going to the middle/north pasture gate both Red and her calf walked along the fence trying to find a way to get together.  I ended up walking all the way to the gate near the river.  The herd was in the middle of the middle pasture except for Mama who was standing by that gate.  Once I herded Mama and Red away from the gate I was able to leave the gate slightly open and herd Red's calf through the gate.  The calf immediately went to drink from Red.

Then I had to find Maria's calf.  This wasn't too hard as she was walking around calling for her mother.  I was able to herd her to the middle/north pasture gate and through and over to the corral, and then reunited her with Maria in the corral.  Once they were reunited and the calf drinking Maria just gave me a look.  I then told her this wouldn't have happened if she hadn't walked up the river.  I went back to bed.

It was all quiet the rest of the day on the cattle front today.

Diamond still has not calved.

Both times when I herded calves I had to cross the line of irrigation sprinklers.  Later when I got up for good that late morning I found one of the riser pipes had unscrewed and came out.  A fountain of water gushed out of the pipe.  I got soaked when I screwed the riser pipe back into the irrigation pipe.  I tightened it good using a pipe wrench.  I am on the way back from the river now for moving pipes.

No comments: