Tuesday, November 01, 2016

October precip record

What a wet month!!!  I am so over rain!    Normally we get 1.01 inches of precipitation in October.  A relatively dry month.  The (now old) record was 3.40 inches back in 1914.  This year we had 4.86 inches of precipitation!!!  We waayyy exceeded the old record. I say 'precipitation' and not rain as part of the amount is from one inch of snow.

The days without precipitation can be easily counted on one hand.  A few times during the month the roads would briefly get dry but that's about it.  The second to last day of the month the sun came out and it was blinding.  The river has risen quite a bit since the rain started and is quite high for this time of year.  Starting a fire in the wood stove can be a challenge as everything is so damp.

As a result I didn't get much done in October.  I got my firewood split and most (all that I wanted to) of the downed pasture trees cut into logs.  I believe I cut into logs thirteen large trees.  I also cut parts of at least a half dozen other trees. I'll finish cutting them next year.

I'm currently stacking the logs in the back yard so they can be split next year.  I have more logs than what can fit so I plan to stack the rest of the logs in the pasture.  Also slowing me down is that I am taking the bark off the logs that I can.  Most of the logs have loose bark but the last few trees to fall have their bark still firmly attached.

Prior to October my goals to complete before Winter included:
  1. Split firewood and cut trees into logs
  2. Plow my hayfield
  3. Re-build a fence between the corral and the hayshed.
  4. Remodel the house room with the wood stove.
It doesn't look like I will get all four items done as I am still working on item number 1.  November is forecast to be average temperatures but a 33% chance of higher than normal precipitation.

No comments: