Sunday, November 13, 2016

Northern jailbreak

My neighbor Calvin called me around 9 am this morning.  He saw four of my cattle in his pasture.  I went out there.  He had six of my cattle: Buddy, Beulah, Mama, Number 7, Panda and one other cow.

They broke two fence wires and got through the fence.  I fixed the wires.


The rest of the herd was along my fence in another location and wanted into Calvin's field to join the others.  They hadn't seen how these six got through the fence.  Since I cut Calvin's field this Summer for hay, he doesn't have a lot of grass for the cattle to eat.  But there is enough to last them a little while.

Since Buddy and Number 7 were in Calvin's field, one of these two were mostly likely the ones who broke the fence.  Even though I patched the fence, the barb wires here are old.  If Buddy wanted to he could break them again.  Once Buddy knows of a way though a fence he doesn't forget.  With rain forecast every day this week I didn't want to go out daily to herd cattle from Calvin's field, especially in the rain.

Calvin didn't mind if the cattle were in his field now so I got my corral panels and set up a 'fence' to keep the cattle away from Calvin's 'stuff' that he stores in his field.  I used his old trailer as part of the fence.


Of course by the time I finished the corral fence the cattle all had come over to the 'stuff'.  Since it looked like I was trying to keep them from something, they wanted to be over there even more.

I left an opening in the corral 'fence' to herd the cattle through.  They didn't want to go.  We went around in circles as they had stuff to use to keep from walking in a straight line.  I got Curtis to help me keep the cattle from going in circles and in no time we got the cattle through the corral 'fence'.

Later I checked Calvin's fence for missing staples and wire clips for this fence's wood and metal posts.  Then I opened the gate between Calvin's and my fields.  By now all the cattle were more interesting in taking their siesta time.  Later in the afternoon some grazed in my field and some in Calvin's.

Laying in Calvin's field by the gate.
Why did the cattle want in Calvin's field?  The grass is greener in my field.

So this took up my morning.  After eating breakfast and replacing a worn bicycle tire and fixing a flat, I got back to discing my hay field.  I'm still working on the second pass.  I never seem to get a full day to work on discing.

No comments: