Sunday, November 06, 2016

First pass done with disc

Today I finished the first pass of discing the hay field.  Only took me three days.

The middle of the hay field has a slight dip.  I imagine it was from when the field was last plowed.  Also the cattle made a path in the dip when going from one end of the field to the other.  This further increased the dip.  The dip was narrow enough the disc glided over it.  Since the sun had set, and it was getting dark by the time I finished the first pass of the field, I decided to do circles over the dip.  The disc seems to cut a little more when I turn a tight circle.

So I was going around and around and around and around to cut through and fill in the dip.  Donna had stopped by the house while I was doing this and she had no idea why I was driving in tight circles.  She remembered from years ago down the road when a farmer who was plowing his field died as he drove his tractor.  He slumped over and the tractor ended up driving in circles until someone found him.  So she thought something happened to me and she came out to check on me.

Nope.  I was just being me.  Driving in tight circles for a goofy reason.


After I parked the tractor for the night Kelly came up.  He had shot a nice buck and wanted to drive out to my pasture to retrieve it.  We lifted the deer into his pickup bed and drove to the hay field to gut and clean the deer.  In the hay field I don't have to worry about the cattle getting into the guts and innards.  Usually by morning it is all gone as the coyotes and/or birds eat it quickly.


The flat tire

I added dense heavy wooden blocks for weight on the disc so it would cut deeper.

The grooves in front of the tractor are from the initial pass. I overlap each time by half a 'row' to get a good cut.

A little left to do

Even disc'd underneath the towers

As seen from this one pass, the disc just fits between the legs of this tower.

Sunset and a little left of the field to disc.

Accidental photo

No comments: