Monday, November 28, 2016

First hay bale

Today I put a large hay bale out for the cattle.  The first of the season.  I used a large bale of last year's leftover hay.

I hauled the bale to the western side of the north pasture.  This area needs the ground to be fertilized.  And I've noticed in the past where I had placed large hay bales the next year the grass grew thicker and better.

When I opened the gate to let the cattle out of the corral they expected me to toss another small bale in the wooden feeder.  I had to lead them out and over to the west side of the pasture where the bale sat.  Once they got close they ran the rest of the way to the feeder.



I had to haul the metal feeder from the east to the west side of the pasture.  Here is the feeder before I rolled it the rest of the way over and tipped it over the bale.



Afterwards I checked the neighbor's fence where Panda had gotten through.  She hadn't broken any wires.  On one post the middle two wires were missing their staples.  I think she then was able to slip through the fence.  That may be why she couldn't find her way back through the fence.

No comments: