Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Orthopedic surgeon visit

Today I saw the orthopedic surgeon.  First time visit, lots of paperwork to fill out.  I am left handed with left collarbone break.  Worst than usual handwriting.

The shoulder today is more swollen.  This morning cleaning the wood stove then a shower was more activity than usual. I found than even though I only used my right arm the shoulder muscles are somewhat connected to the left side too and I felt pulling on the left side sometimes when using my right arm.  Therefore more pain.  I took two ibuprofen.

Break and swollen area

While waiting for the doctor the nurse had put up one x-ray image of the break. One bone looked to under the other bone by several inches.  The doctor told me no, it just looks that way due to the view of the bone.  The bone barely overlaps.

We discussed surgury vs letting it heal on its own.  He thought the bone could heal on its own without loss of shoulder function.

Surgery and installing a plate will not speed healing.  With or without a plate I won't be able to lift objects for the same amount of time.

Surgery and a plate will ensure the bone is straight and aligned.

I am concerned the bone will move before it completely heals.  That is why my arm was re-broken by the doctor and a plate was installed 36 years ago.  I was set back six weeks of healing time.

Plates are still fastened by screws.  I had hoped a glue had been invented in the 36 years since my last plate.  Those 6 screws caused me the worst pain for two days that I ever felt - by far.

A plate will make the bone more rigid and does not allow for flex.

The plate will not break in another fall but there is a chance the bone at the end of the plate will break, especially if the bone does not flex.

I would have a scar and the plate may be noticeable as the skin is thin in that area.


In the end we decided to wait till Friday.  He'll take another x-ray and then I'll decide if I want surgery.


Here is an interesting article on the pros and cons of surgery vs no surgery.
http://www.darmage.com/clavicle_fracture_001.html

No comments: