Friday, February 05, 2016

Collarbone xrays

Early this morning I had two more x-rays of my shoulder done and spoke with the doctor.  The break is large and complex enough that surgery was recommended and a plate installed.

My friend Ted had a collarbone break in the past from a bicycle accident and he said his break was fixed with a pin which was removed after four weeks.  A pin would not work on my break.  My break has three bones and the alignment of the break also would not allow a single pin to work.

The Kalispell hospital is busy. I was willing to go to the Whitefish hospital so the doctor can do the surgery first thing Monday morning.  The sooner the better.

Early Monday morning.   36 years ago when I had a plate installed to fix a broken arm I went in to the hospital the night before and stayed for two or three days afterwards.  Not these days.  I get to the hospital at 6:30 am.  Surgery is about an hour later.  I should be released to go home by late morning / early afternoon.

I most likely will have some meds - mainly for pain.  I tried to get a prescription today so I don't have to go to a pharmacy to get the meds after the operation but that is not possible.

There are plates made for collarbones.  Curved and different sizes.  My arm plate has six screws through my bone.  I asked how many screws for the collarbone plate.  Eight.  Maybe ten.  Great.  Just great.  The most pain I have ever experienced was six screws screwed through my bone.  I'm not looking forward to eight to ten screws.

I had to stop at the hospital for "pre-op".  This mainly was getting registered, answering a few questions, and get the correct soap in which to shower the night and morning before.   I also had to tell them what kind of sandwich and what I wanted on the sandwich.  They will send me home after the operation with a sandwich so I don't have to cook that night.

Here are the two x-rays taken today.  One is straight on. The other x-ray was taken low and angled up.




As you can see, not a pretty break.




No comments: