Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Collarbone surgery

Sunday I put two large bales of hay out for the cattle.  I had trouble getting the bale spear point under the second feeder and I ended up poking the second (new) feeder and bending out a piece of metal.





Hay here and over there

See her left side vs her right side?  Looks pregnant.

Now that I put enough hay out for almost a week it was time to get up early Monday morning.  I had to be at the hospital at 6:30 am.  I was the first person scheduled for surgery.  Donna took me to the hospital and waited.

The nurse prepared me for surgery.  The anesthesiologist stopped by.  The doctor stopped by.  The nurse shaved hair from my collarbone area.  She put in an IV in preparation for the anesthesia.   My shoulder was more annoying than painful.  The IV needle stuck in my hand was more annoying than my shoulder.

The anesthesia was added.  I waited.  Not getting sleepy.  Then I woke up and the operation was over.  I believe it was between 10 am and 10:30 am when I woke up.  The operation had taken several hours.

The doctor came by.  He had found 5 broken bones once he opened me up.  He removed one small bone.  He screwed three bones together.  The last bone was under the main bone so he left it.  Otherwise he would have had to cut through a bunch more nerves to get to the last bone. The last bone should heal to the bones with a plate holding them together.

I got one pain pill.  It helped with the pain, but...  45 minutes later I got a second pill.  Two pills took care of the pain.  Donna gave me some graham crackers and water as I rested and recovered.

I felt a little woozy so I laid there for a while while the pain pills took effect.  I fell asleep for a while.

I went home Monday afternoon once I found out the hospital charges by the minute for time spent in the recovery room.   Even though the health insurance was covering the cost, no sense wasting money.  I also no longer felt woozy by that time.

Donna drove me home.  Halfway home, all of a sudden, I was nauseous.   Before I could get her car door completely open and me unbuckled from the seat-belt I threw up all over the inside of her car door.   The only good thing was that it was just liquid.

Even though it has been many, many years since dad died, Mark the pharmacist, remembered dad and that he passed away in the store's parking lot while I was refilling dad's prescription.

The hospital sent me home with a sandwich, chips and cookie.  So I didn't have to cook since I wasn't spending the night recovering in the hospital.   The sandwich was good.


I didn't have much of an appetite.  Sandwich was for a late lunch.  Chips for supper.  Cookie for evening snack.

I find that if I eat too much food I will get a little woozy and lightly nauseous.  The effects are less with each meal.  Donna brought me extra food.  Patti stopped by with extra food.  I have plenty of food as I don't have much of an appetite yet.

I mainly slept for 24 hrs after the surgery.  Since then I sleep very late and sleep more often than not.

Tuesday was sunny and warm.  Late afternoon I sat outside in the warm sunshine until sundown.


Wednesday was not so sunny.  Having been 48 hours since my surgery it was time for a shower and to change the bandage.  With only one arm it takes longer to do everything, including taking a shower.

I haven't used my recliner as I am comfortable laying flat and sleeping in my bed.  No real pain.  Mainly I feel pressure when the pain pills are wearing off.  Sometimes it feels like pressure downwards against my shoulder as I lay.  Or sometimes it feels like someone has wrapped their hand around my shoulder bone and is squeezing the bone tight.  Not comfortable to sleep on my side yet.

Bandage from the hospital.

Under the bandage.  I left that on for now.  So I haven't seen the incision yet.
 
The stitches will dissolve on their own. The skin around the bandage feels numb. Time will tell how large of a numb area I will have.  Next week I have my followup visit to the surgeon.

-

No comments: