Saturday, December 13, 2014

Slurry manure

Warmer weather which means a water, mud and manure mess.  Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy!   Yet Daisy follows me into the coral when I feed cattle hay.  She is not a prissy kitty.

Rain today.  The cattle took five days to eat a bale instead of the usual four.  That meant they finished the bale on the one wet miserable day.  I fed them small bales today as the forecast is for better weather tomorrow.  I don't feel like laying on a wet soggy ground to wrap a chain around a pallet.  And I had other stuff to do today.

When I built the feeder south of the barn I brought in extra dirt to raise the ground around the feeder higher than the ground further out.  No matter, around the feeder is a slurry mix of water, mud, manure and pee.  I took a shovel and pushed a lot of it out of the corral before feeding the cattle.

The calves have gotten used to me.  They used to be skittish around me.  Now they get in the way, checking the shovel and me out as I pushed the slurry mess.  Rose especially likes to rub her head against me.



No comments: